Pages

September 16, 2013

6 - Design

Wow. Who knew keeping up with a blog would be so difficult. I give all bloggers props for being able to post something on a regular, or even semi-regular, basis. My hopes were to try and post once a week, but sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get off work, is transition to a different computer monitor... but a TV, phone or iPad... totally different. Haha.

We had our design meeting the Friday before Labor Day weekend. Yup, that's how lazy I've been... It went really well. It only lasted 4 hours, which was about the shortest they could hope for. Some people take much longer than that. Thankfully, I'm a crazy person and we figured out a lot of the details that we wanted prior to meeting with the designer.

The colors we went with were as close to a grayscale palette as possible. It seems the most neutral without going beige or off white. We're really excited, and hope that all the colors we picked will actually look good together. A little scary, and would suck if they don't. I wish I wrote down the names, but I believe they're from Sherwin Williams. I also wanted to go with nickel fixtures, but after looking at the oil-rubbed bronze, the bronze just looked so much nicer. So we went with that.

Most of the design details will be revealed over time as the house slowly gets completed. Therefore, I won't talk about it too much. I did drag Vernon to Lifestyles and Metro Appliances to see what appliances we're getting, and also to start looking at light fixtures we might like. That's probably going to be the toughest decision. The allowance for lighting seems small, and I don't know how anyone does it without going over. With our initial walk through, we're thinking we may end up going $100-200 over the allowance. Which I guess in the grand scheme of things isn't all that bad.

What I do want to mention, which will be meaningless to all except the few friends of mine that share my love of television, is the ten cable drops we get! For anyone that knows me at all, I love my TV, and now we basically get a cable outlet in every room... including the garage and above the microwave. They say the kitchen is the heart of the home right? Well, why not stick a little TV in there too?! If either of us took baths, we'd consider putting one in the bathroom, but we don't. We actually took the jetted tub out of the master bathroom and are going to put a window seat/storage bench there instead. Did I mention this in the previous post? I can't remember, but apologies in advance if I did. Again, it's been so long!

The only major disappointments during our design meeting were finding out the kitchen backsplash that we thought came standard, was an upgrade. Bummer. It was the long glass strips type backsplash. It was really nice. We'll get travertine tile backsplash instead. The other downer was the fireplace surround. In the model home, it's huge. It probably takes up a quarter of the wall that it's on. It's definitely a centerpiece of the living room. Of course, it was also an upgrade. So we'll get a normal sized fireplace... whatever that is. I'm a little bummed, but we want to stay as close to budget as possible, so unless we feel something is needed, or we can't live without it, we're going with whatever comes as a standard option.

Other than that, we've been driving by the lot on a weekly basis to check on the progress. They've laid out the framing for the foundation. It's so weird how small the footprint looks. I know our home won't be huge to begin with, but only seeing the outline... it looks so tiny! Either way, we're really excited. We also picked out our storm shelter that will go in the garage floor. We're getting a small one that will fit 6-8 people, and by we, I mean my mom. It's her housewarming gift to us. A pre-housewarming gift :) having lived in SW OKC/Moore all her life, tornado safety is at the top of her list and she didn't want us to wait a year or so... which was our timeline for when we would probably have purchased one.



Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts!